I am writing this article to tell people about the future of Digital Marketing in India. It is the first question comes in the mind when a person thinks to take “Digital Marketing” as a career option.
People who are going to choose Digital Marketing as their career should know about the future of it and what are the possibilities of growth.
In this article you are going to get the answers of following questions like-
What is Digital Marketing?
What is the future of Digital Marketing in India?
What is the present status of Digital Marketing in India?
What types of jobs available in Digital Marketing?
What are the salaries of different type of Digital Marketing Professionals?
What are the Common Modules of Digital Marketing?
Before writing the article I did proper research and collected the information to serve you. I would like to start this article by a most common but very important question that so many people have.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is nothing but marketing of any Product or Service on all possible Digital Mediums by all possible Digital Technologies.
Digital Mediums can be Search Engines, Websites, Social Media, Mobile Apps, and Emails.
We can show our Advertisements on all Search Engines (Showing Ads to the people who are searching for products or services on search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.), Social Media Platforms (Showing your Ads to people who are using Social Media websites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), Mobile Screens (Showing Ads Directly on Mobile Screens as a Pop Up), Websites (Showing Image Ads and Video Ads to people who are visiting other Website), Mobile Apps (Showing Ads on Different types of Mobile Applications), YouTube (Showing Ads in Between the Videos or Promoting Your own YouTube Channels), and Mailbox (Showing Ads inside the Inbox as Emails or Display Ads).
Internet Marketing, Online Marketing, and Digital Marketing all are same.
Digital Marketing is the most convenient and effective way to approach a targeted and segmented audience which is not possible in Traditional Marketing.
In Traditional Marketing we spend a lot and get less but in Digital Marketing we spend less and get more.
Give me the answers of following questions-
Can you track who is coming via Hoardings?
Can you track who is seeing your Pamphlets?
Can you change your Newspaper Ads and Hoardings whenever you want?
Can you fix the people who are going to see your Hoardings, Pamphlets, and TV Ads?
I know your answers. No, you can’t.
But in Digital Marketing all the above mentioned activities are possible.
It is trackable, measurable, flexible and affordable marketing technique through which we can approach our potential customer in any location of the world as per their interest, affinity, intent, age, gender, job title, skills, education, and life events which is not possible in Traditional Marketing.
Future of Digital Marketing in India-
In India Digital Marketing is still in the growing stage and potential is huge. National and Multinational Companies are looking for the eligible candidates and ready to hire them.
Here are some statistics helping us know the future of Digital Marketing in India before we move ahead-
- As per the report of eMarketer, by the year 2021 India would be spending around $2.80 Billion on Digital Advertisements.
- As per the research done by EY Research India is going to become the world’s youngest country by the year 2020 with an average age of 29.5. It means that most of the people will be using mobiles and laptops and it will definitely force companies to advertise on all possible digital mediums.
- As per MGI Report Mobile Internet and Cloud Computing are going to become the most demanding technologies.
- By year 2020 marketers will be forced to do mobile advertisements because by 2020 there will be around 600 million mobile users in India (currently the number is 400 million).
- India already ranks among top 10 content consuming countries in the world it clearly speaks about the role of content marketing in India.
- Mobile ads spending in India is expected to reach around $1.73 billion by the year 2021 which speaks about the huge demand of mobile advertisers in India.
- Global Digital Giants like Google, Facebook, Twitter and Amazon are planning their new offices in Hyderabad and Bangalore for Digital Advertisements.
- Digital India initiative is encouraging several startups in India. Currently there are several job openings available for Digital Marketing Professionals in India. By the year 2020 around 2 million job openings will attract the youth to learn Digital Marketing in India
- India E-commerce Marketing is supposed to touch $50 billion in 2022 and all e-commerce brands require Digital Marketing Professionals.
Present Status of Digital Marketing in India-
The scope of the Digital Marketing in present is considerable and there are several jobs and job roles available in this field about which I have discussed in this article further.
I have listed down the present status of Digital Marketing in the following points-
- According to the survey done on jobs availability (Naukri,Timesjobs, Shine,Monster and BABA Jobs and ) in Digital Marketing in year 2018 there are 1.2 million jobs are available currently in Digital Marketing Field.
- Around 35% of companies are using at least 1 Digital Marketing strategy for their Business including Google AdWords, Facebook and Instagram Marketing, LinkedIn Marketing, Twitter Marketing, Search Engine Optimization and Email Marketing.
- The growth rate of Digital Advertisement in India is 30% per year according to a report published by IAMAI and IMRB in 2017
Jobs available in Digital Marketing Industry-
Job market of Digital Marketing in India is very huge and the scope is very large. As we already discussed that around 1.2 million jobs are available in Digital Marketing industry in India and Companies are searching for skilled candidates I would like to list down some of the job roles available in Digital Marketing Field.
The average salary offered in Digital Marketing Field is also discussed further.
If you want to join a company which offers full Digital Marketing work to you. As a Digital Marketing person you need to handle SEO, SEM,SMM,Email Marketing and other Digital Marketing Areas. You will get below mentioned jobs at entry level like-
- Digital Marketing Executive
- Digital Marketing Analyst
- Digital Marketing Specialist
- Digital Marketing Strategist
- Digital Marketing Expert
As an SEO your work will be focused on the optimization of WebPages to increase visibility on Search Engines. If you want to work specifically as a Search Engine Optimizer then you are going to get following entry level jobs those are very specific to search engine optimization.
- SEO Marketing Executive
- SEO Marketing Analyst
- SEO Marketing Specialist
- SEO Marketing Strategist
- SEO Marketing Expert
Social Media is the platform where we can find almost all customers and this is what makes it the very important part of Digital Marketing.
If you have interest in Social Media Marketing and want know this field better then you must become a Social Media Marketer. If you want to build your future in Social Media Marketing field then at entry level you can get following jobs-
- Social Media Marketing Executive
- Social Media Marketing Analyst
- Social Media Marketing Specialist
- Social Media Marketing Strategist
- Social Media Marketing Expert
Email Marketing is a very effective way of Business Generation and Lead Nurturing. If you want to make your career as an Email Marketer then following jobs are waiting for you at the entry level-
- Email Marketing Executive
- Email Marketing Analyst
- Email Marketing Specialist
- Email Marketing Strategist
- Email Marketing Expert
Search Engine Marketing is the most used Digital Marketing module. You can get faster and focused results using Google AdWords and Bing Ads. To start your career as an SEM professional or Google AdWords professional you need to start with following jobs-
- Google AdWords Executive
- Google AdWords Analyst
- Google AdWords Specialist
- Google AdWords Strategist
- Google AdWords Expert
- SEM Executive
- SEM Analyst
- SEM Specialist
- SEM Strategist
- SEM Expert
Apart of the above mentioned jobs you may have several different jobs also.
At mid senior level and senior level following jobs are available –
- Senior Digital Marketing Executive
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Assistant Digital Marketing Manager
- Digital Marketing Consultant
- Senior SEO Executive
- SEO Manager
- Assistant SEO Manager
- Senior SMM Executive
- SMM Manager
- Online Reputation Manager
- Assistant SMM Manager
- Head of the Digital Marketing
- Digital Marketing Lead
Even if you do not want to do the job you can still earn by working from home. All you need to become a Digital Marketer is Internet Connection and Laptop.
You can become a Blogger, Affiliate Marketer, YouTuber, Social Media Influencer, and Freelance Consultant
You can also earn by AdSense, iMob, Domain Flipping, and Lead Generation.
Salary offered in Digital Marketing Industry-
At entry level salary offered to a Digital Marketing Professional is 15k to 40k. If I talk about the average salary of a Digital Marketing Professional in India then it is 50K to 100K per month.
Some of the jobs and their average salaries in Digital Marketing:
Common Modules in Digital Marketing-
SEO – Search Engine Optimization or SEO is making your WebPages more recognizable by any Search Engine. It has 2 parts those are On Page SEO and Off Page SEO. It is organic and we do not have to pay to show our results on search engines.
We optimize the WebPages in such a manner that Search Engines like them and recognize them better for any related term so that when users file queries in search engines our WebPages come up. As good as SEO as higher the rank in SERPs(Search Engine Result Pages).
SEM – Search Engine Marketing or SEM is another name of paid marketing on search engines. It is all paid and we need to pay whenever our advertisements on search engines or search engine partner websites get clicks, impressions, or views. Google AdWords and Bing Ads are most famous SEM tools. We use Google AdWords to show our ads on Google and Its partner websites while when we have to show our ads on bing or its partner websites we need to use Bing Ads tool.
SMM – Social Media Marketing or SMM is about marketing your products or services on social media. We can also promote our social media posts, pages or accounts to increase the reach and followers.
It majorly includes Facebook and Instagram Marketing, LinkedIn Marketing, and Twitter Marketing. Commonly we use this marketing module to generate business leads, to generate focused website traffic, to sell products and services,to increase brand awareness, and to increase followers.
Email the best communication medium among the professionals. Email marketing is to be considered as one of the best Digital Marketing Module. The average ROI calculated by Email Marketing is 3700%.
Sending the Emails to your subscribers timely and converting your Website Visitors into potential customers we generally use email marketing. It plays a major role in lead nurturing process and follow ups.
To do the Email Marketing we need to use ESPs (Email Service Providers) like Mailchimp, Aweber, Sendin Blue,Sendgrid, Constant Contact and many more.
Apart of all these major modules there are some more like affiliate marketing, adsense, imob, sms marketing, content marketing, blogging.
By sharing this article I am telling you the scope of Digital Marketing in India. I would say this is the best time to choose Digital Marketing as a career. I hope this article will help you in making your decision to choose your career.
I have tried to provide all the answers related to Digital Marketing career if you still have some doubts feel free to ask the question in comment box. I would be glad to answer all your questions related to Digital Marketing career.
Thank you for reading this article. Share it if you like it.
Have a nice day.